Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Post Level : SB-3
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 01-Mar-2012
Duration of Initial Contract : Initial period of one year
Location : Calabar, NIGERIA
Type of Contract : Service Contract
The Administrative Assistant works in close collaboration with the Operations, Programme and projects staff in the CO and other UN agencies staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
The functions/duties/ key results of this job description are generic and not all duties are carried out by all Administrative Assistants. Some specialized functions can be implemented by Logistics Assistants (shipments, insurance, deliveries, customs clearance).
Under the guidance and supervision of the Chief Mission Support, the Administrative Assistant provides support to office operations performing a variety of standard administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Administrative Assistant promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Participate in the management of the building (electricity, water and telephone bills).
- Supervise activities concerning the maintenance of the office, security and transport.
- Organize audiences, and working programs of the observers upon request.
- Receive incoming letters, registering, sorting and dispatching out going correspondences.
- Updating and following up the filling of archives.
- Prepare the documents and engage appropriate steps so as to welcome the Mixed Commission staff or other UN staff during their missions abroad.
- Elaborate and record a telephone list useful for the running of the office.
- Participate and coordinate the preparation of local contracts for vehicle and equipments maintenance to UNDP Abuja attention.
- Verify authorizations and contracts’ validity before sending the mail to the Observers’ Coordinator in Yaoundé.
- Follow up the maintenance of the vehicle, copier, computers, telephone lines and Internet.
- Plan and control the movements of staff in order to establish the monthly attendances record. Prepare the reimbursement requests for F10 and other payments to UNOWA.
- Prepare and follow up the inventory of the office equipments.
- Prepare quarterly reports for non expendable equipment.
- Responsible for fuel management.
- Accomplish any task in case of need within the limit of capacity.
- Prepare correspondences to UNDP Abuja and the Observers’ Coordinator in Yaoundé concerning the staff management, as well as financial matters, general services and IT.
- Assume the strategic management of operations /general services.
- Manage the petty cash and the cask book, prepare the request of quarterly advance of funds and prepare the quarterly financial report.
- Manage the car of the office (insurance, temporary admission, ordering and use of fuel, verification of mileage form and other board books, maintenance).
- In charge of transit matters and prepare appropriate correspondences to UNDP Abuja.
- Follow up on the procurement process in the acquisition of additional equipments required for the office to UNDP Abuja attention.
- Manage the office supplies and equipments.
- Organize, upon the hierarchy’s instructions, the staff meetings, attend them and write the minutes.
- Participate in protocol activities: welcome arriving, send off departing, hotel bookings, and confirming traveling tickets.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
1. Ensures effective administrative and logistical support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
Organization of shipments, customs clearance arrangements, preparation of documents for UNDP shipments (received/sent), Preparation of all necessary documentation, implementation of follow-up actions
Performance of a Buyer role in Atlas and preparation of POs for travel activities.
Support to organization of procurement processes including preparation of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their preliminary evaluation. Preparation of POs.
Arrangements of travel and hotel reservations, preparation of travel authorizations, processing requests for visas, identity cards and other documents
Administrative support to conferences, workshops, retreats.
Collection of information for DSA, travel agencies and other administrative surveys, support to organization of common services.
Arrangement of vehicle transportation, regular vehicle maintenance and insurance.
Checking and recording of vehicle daily log and gas consumption, update and maintenance of vehicle history report.
Custodian for management of office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery as required by staff and keeping a log of distribution.
Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
Extraction of data from various sources.
Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports.
Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to head of unit.
Assistance in the preparation of budget, provision of information for audit.
2. Provides support to office maintenance and assets management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
Maintenance of records on assets management, preparation of reports.
Maintenance of files and records relevant to office maintenance
Provision of support to maintenance of common premises and common services
3. Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
Participation in the training for the operations/projects staff on administration.
Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
4. Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
Full compliance of administrative activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
Provision of inputs to the CO administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs).
Provision of inputs to preparation of administrative team results-oriented workplans.
5. Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the unit (DRR’s office/operations unit/ administrative unit), focusing on achievement of the following results:
Contacts with visitors and staff, arrangement of appointments and meetings, acting as an interpreter when required and/or taking minutes.
Compilation and preparation of briefing and presentation materials, speeches, background information and documentation for meetings and missions.
Translation of simple correspondences, when needed.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Level 1.1: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Level 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of management systems
Uses information/databases/other management systems
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Level 1.1: Gathering and disseminating information
Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
UNDP Procurement Certification programme
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Secondary education. Certification in administration desirable.
Experience: 5 years of relevant experience in administration or programme support service. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.). Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Language Requirements: Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.